John Street: Design Block
Urban Intervention Showcase
The “design block” transform an everyday street space into a fun public gathering area as well as a showcase for local design. Shipping containers will become pop-up shops, exhibit galleries, and activity spaces for:
- A video booth and a gallery of the results of a Hipstamatic Photo Challenge (IxDA, SIGCHI)
- An exhibit of “infographics” called FYI is a Poster Show (AIGA Seattle)
- A display about urban design principles in the City’s upcoming Comprehensive Plan and a chance to give your comments (City of Seattle Department of Planning and Development)
- A retail gallery of local products by Seattle designers, many of them “upcycled” and sustainable
- An exhibit of award-winning interior design for you to vote on for a “People’s Choice Award” (IIDA)
- An information kiosk with Festival calendars, magazines, and info about the Festival and local design
The containers will be linked together by a chalk-art ground plane, a balloon “cloud” overhead, and street furniture, the result of a 7-day “Design Jam.” There will be food vendors and a beer/wine garden as well as a landscape installation that will provide shade and seating throughout the festival.
September 21 – 23
Friday: noon – 10 p.m. (containers close at 8 p.m.)
Saturday: 10 a.m. – 10 p.m. (containers close at 8 p.m.)
Sunday: 10 a.m. – 6 p.m.
Design Block: John Street between 9th and Westlake
Design in Public